Fast Facts About Women in Business
July 21, 2014
Looking for some quick facts about women in the workforce? Here are a few of the top stats you should know:
- Women make up 47% of the U.S. labor force, and 59% of the college-educated, entry-level workforce.
- They earn almost 60% of undergraduate degrees, and 60% of all master’s degrees.
- More than 9.1 million firms are owned by women, employing nearly 7.9 million people, and generating $1.4 trillion in sales as of 2014.
- While women-owned firms account for 30% of all businesses, 90% of women-owned businesses have no employees other than the owner herself.
- Women entrepreneurs are less likely to be funded by venture capital firms.
- In Fortune 500 companies, women hold only 14.6% executive officer positions and 16.9% of board seats.
- The percentage of women on all U.S. corporate boards has been stuck in the 12.1 to 12.3 percent range over the past decade.
Learn more facts about women in business by visiting our research page.