2009 BCLC Annual Report
2009 was another difficult year for millions of people facing challenges from both the economy and natural disasters. As a result, corporations around the world responded to a wide range of corporate social responsibility and development needs. Once again, as they have done for the past nine years, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Business Civic Leadership Center (BCLC) provided much needed leadership and support for many of these efforts.
During 2009, BCLC:
- launched the Together for Recovery campaign and website providing access to business tools and resources to help millions of Americans get through the economic crisis;
- published a first-of-its-kind study and toolkit for companies to partner with national development agencies to address global challenges;
- supported ongoing disaster response and recovery efforts in American Samoa, the Philippines, Indonesia, Cedar Rapids, and Galveston;
- established an ongoing dialogue with HUD, the DOT, and the EPA about the role of the private sector in the Sustainable Communities Initiative;
- engaged with NOAA, the White House Office of Social Innovation, the Corporation for National and Community Service, and many other government agencies and nonprofit stakeholders on common issues.
Over the course of the year, BCLC also built out its social media capabilities and established a presence on Twitter and Facebook. BCLC earned media coverage for member companies in many outlets including Fox, NPR, Politico, and many venues on the Web. BCLC's Partnership Award also set the record for the largest CSR competition on Justmeans.com.
As we look ahead to 2010 and BCLC's tenth anniversary, I am pleased to report that BCLC is headed in the right direction. It is building its capabilities to support the business community's efforts to be a leading partner with public and non-governmental agencies and part of the solution for addressing the most pressing development challenges of our time. The achievements of the past year, as well as specific objectives for BCLC's major programs, are summarized in the following pages.
Best regards for a successful 2010,
Vice President of Corporate Relations, the Allstate Corporation
Chair of the Board of Directors, U.S. Chamber of Commerce Business Civic Leadership Center