Kayla Abramowitz is Chief Kid Officer (CKO) of Kayla Cares 4 Kids, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that collects educational and entertainment items and donates them to children's hospitals nationwide. YEA!, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation, and Sam's Club recognized Abramowitz as the winner of the YEA! Saunders Scholars competition at America's Small Business Summit on June 8, 2015 in Washington, D.C.
What began as a single collection of 100 DVDs for a Miami hospital has blossomed into a major enterprise, with more than 6,500 DVDs, books, video games and electronics collected and donated to hospitals, medical facilities and Ronald McDonald Houses in 40 states since 2013. The mission of Kayla Cares 4 Kids' is to "help sick kids feel better one smile at a time."
A member of the YEA! chapter supported by the Northern Palm Beach Chamber of Commerce, Abramowitz formed Kayla Cares 4 Kids at the age of 11. She got the idea after noticing an extremely limited DVD selection for her age level during many hospital visits associated with treatments for Crohn's Disease and Juvenile Arthritis. Her younger brother, Ethan, has been hospitalized with Juvenile Arthritis, Eosinophilic Esophagitis and other gastrointestinal disorders, as well.
Now 13 years old, Abramowitz is in 7th grade honors program at Watson B. Duncan Middle School in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. She enjoys creative writing, drawing, and playing euphonium in the school band. She is also a Cadette in Girl Scouts.
She has received numerous honors for her charitable work, including:
- Young Entrepreneurs Academy – 2015 National Finalist
- Young Entrepreneurs Academy – 2015 Southern Regional First Place
- Young Entrepreneurs Academy – 2015 Northern Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce Investors Panel First Place
- Young Entrepreneurs Academy – 2015 Northern Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce Sam’s Club $500 Shopping Spree Winner
- Hasbro Community Action Hero Award – 2015 Semi-Finalist
- Palm Beach County Medical Society – 2015 Community Outreach Finalist
- President’s Volunteer Service Award – 2014 Gold Level
- Youth Service America – 2014 Summer of Service Award
- Kohl’s Cares – 2014 Regional Winner
- Palm Beach County Medical Society – 2014 Outstanding Young Leader Award
- Youth Service America/WPLG-TV Miami – 2013 Summer of Service Award
- President’s Volunteer Service Award – 2013 Gold Level
- Boca Raton Observer Magazine – 2013 “Kids Making a Difference”
- Village of North Palm Beach Town Council – 2013 Proclamation honoring Kayla and Kayla Cares 4 Kids
For more information on Kayla Cares 4 Kids, visit www.kaylacares4kids.org.