Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 8:30am to 12:00pm
1615 H Street NWWashington, DC 20062
Registation and Breakfast: 8:30 a.m.- 9:00 a.m.
Program: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
This event highlighted a report by the State Budget Crisis Task Force, co-chaired by Richard Ravitch, former lieutenant governor of New York, and Paul Volcker, former Federal Reserve Board chair. The report examined six major fiscal threats to states across the nation: Medicaid, federal deficit reduction, underfunded retirement, taxes, local government fiscal stress, and state budget laws and practices.
In addition, gubernatorial chiefs of staff discussed how their states are balancing the need for fiscal responsibility while investing in a strong economic future.
A federal panel then facilitated a robust discussion on the challenges facing our country and answered the looming question: What must we do to avoid the fiscal cliff?
Panel: A Look at the States: Who's Doing It Right
• Martin Kent, Chief of Staff, Office of Governor Bob McDonnell, Virginia
• Denise Northrup, Chief of Staff, Office of Governor Mary Fallin, Oklahoma
• Eric Schutt, Chief of Staff, Office of Governor Scott Walker, Wisconsin
• Roxane White, Chief of Staff, Office of Governor John Hickenlooper, Colorado
Moderator: Alex Brill, Research Fellow, American Enterprise Institute and Research Fellow, the National Chamber Foundation
Panel: The Grand Bargain
• Alison Acosta Fraser, Director, Thomas A. Roe Institute for Economic Studies, The Heritage Foundation
• Rudy Penner, Institute Fellow and Arjay and Frances Miller Chair in Public Policy, The Urban Institute, and former Director, Congressional Budget Office
• The Hon. David Walker, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Comeback America Initiative
Moderated by: Dr. Martin Regalia, Senior Vice President and Chief Economist, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Other Confirmed Speakers:
• Joseph A. Califano Jr., President Lyndon B. Johnson's top assistant for domestic policy and Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare from 1977 to 1979; Founder and Chair Emeritus of the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University; and member of the Board, State Budget Crisis Task Force
• Thomas J. Donohue, President and CEO, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
• Richard Ravitch, former Lieutenant Governor of New York