Questions to Ask a Mentor
- What’s the best advice you can give to help plan a career rather than simply work to keep a job?
- How do you encourage innovative ideas?
- How would you describe your personal style?
- Do you have a mentor? How have they influenced you?
- What do you do to constantly challenge your underlying beliefs and assumptions?
- Would you do anything differently if given the opportunity?
- How and where do you find inspiration?
- How do you keep your feelings separate from your decision-making?
- What values are you committed to?
- How do you balance your work and home life?
- Do you have any books that you would suggest I read?
Tips for a Successful Mentoring Session
- Prepare and ask relevant questions.
- Be respectful of your mentor’s time and experience.
- Ask if you can follow up and exchange contact information.
- Afterwards, ask yourself what you learned from the meeting and how you can apply your new knowledge.
- Thank your mentor for their advice with an email or personalized note.
Other Articles on Mentoring
Looking for a mentor or mentoring opportunity? Check out CWB's events page for upcoming events in your area.