UPS Helps Fight Hunger Worldwide through Partnership with the United Nations World Food Programme
In 2015, the global community adopted the 17 Sustainable Development Goals to improve people’s lives by 2030. From these global goals, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has made goal number two – Zero Hunger – a main priority. The Zero Hunger goal pledges to end hunger, achieve food security, improve nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture.
Companies such as UPS have also made it a priority to eradicate hunger and are doing so through the power of partnerships. Now entering its twelfth year of partnership, UPS has supported WFP through a variety of cash, in-kind resources, and expertise, including:
- Deploying rapid response teams and calling up logistics personnel from an emergency roster to take part in coordinated responses.
- Providing airlift services to deliver essential food and supplies to depots at the scene of a response.
- Providing warehouse facilities and equipment to WFP when needed.
- Sharing logistics expertise by UPS executives to help prepare for future emergencies.
- Offer capacity building grants to strengthen WFP’s capabilities to respond more efficiently to rapid onset and complex global crises.
Recently, WFP recognized UPS for their support and commitment to achieving Zero Hunger by presenting them with the 2018 Hunger Hero Award at the World Economic Forum’s annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland.
“UPS is a steadfast partner that is always quick to offer vital resources that are often in short supply during emergencies,” said WFP Executive Director David Beasley. “UPS and its employees are true champions for Zero Hunger and great examples of what can be achieved working together with the private sector.”
No one company or organization can do it alone. This partnership between World Food Programme and UPS is just one example of the great impact that can be achieved through collaboration. Through combining resources and expertise, innovative solutions can be created to address complex global challenges.