Quiz: Is Your Business Prepared if a Disaster Strikes?
Research indicates that 43% of businesses never reopen after a disaster, and 25% of business that do, fail within a year. Made in partnership with the UPS Foundation, is designed to provide the most effective ways to increase your ability to survive and thrive after any disaster such as a flood, earthquake, power outage, etc. Complete this self-assessment to rate your business’ readiness here!
Resilience in a Box Self-Assessment
Answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to each of the following questions.
1. Assembled a “team” of individuals within the business who know key operations and can provide important perspectives when planning for and responding to disasters?
2. Assigned someone to lead business disaster planning efforts for your business?
3. Organized all your critical documents and information so they are easily accessible when needed most?
4. Identified and prioritized which business operations are critical so you know what to recover first, second, etc.?
5. Identified the possible hazards (natural and man-made) which could interrupt your business?
6. Developed continuity or emergency procedures so you can continue to provide products or services after a disaster (e.g. we cannot access our building, need a generator, etc.)?
7. Made accessible important data or files for decision-making if you were unable to access your facility, e.g. after a fire?
8. Maintained updated emergency contact information for employees, vendors, suppliers, customers, and other key contacts?
9. Trained employees to assist (e.g. respond to injuries, evacuate building) when an emergency occurs?
10. Maintained emergency supplies for your businesses to address immediate needs, such as if employees are unable to go home?
11. Encouraged employees to be prepared at home?
12. Regularly backed-up your data?
13. If your answer was “yes” to the above questions, do you also store your data back-ups offsite?
14. Taken steps to safeguard against potential damage to your equipment, buildings or facilities?
15. Protected inventory/storage from theft, loss or damage during an earthquake, fire, water pipe break, etc.?
16. Maintained procedures to communicate after a disaster with employees, suppliers, vendors, customers, and the public?
17. Put a current continuity/emergency/disaster plan in place?
18. Established partnerships with other businesses, government and/or community organizations that can serve as resources when the next crisis arrives?
How ready is your business? Tally your score to see where your business stands and rate your readiness! For every question you answered “yes” add (1) point.
- If you scored between 15-18: your organization is better prepared than most (possibly even your competitors) and there are simple resources to address any gaps, such as those in the Resilience in a Box.
- If you scored between 7-14: Your organization has taken some preparedness steps. You are at less risk, yet there is room to improve using the Resilience in a Box resources.
- If you scored under 6: Your organization is unnecessarily at risk of interruption. The good news is you can start using the Resilience in a Box resources now with easy and no cost solutions to assist you.
Now that you have assessed your level of preparedness, get started with the workbook. It will walk you through the necessary steps to become more resilient after any type of disaster. Use Resilience in a Box to begin protecting your business today!