Tips to Help You Win a Citizens Award
At the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation, we get the privilege of working the business community on the work they do to make a positive impact around the world. And, every spring, we ask businesses to share that positive work by submitting a nomination for the Corporate Citizenship Awards!
From now until June 3, the Chamber Foundation is accepting nominations for the 17th annual Citizens Awards. We are looking to showcase the most innovative and impactful corporate citizenship work around the world. If you’re a company or nonprofit partner we encourage you to nominate your corporate citizenship work in one or more of our eight categories.
But how can you submit the strongest nomination possible? To help we’ve compiled tips from past winners and judges, divided the tips into two categories: knowing what to nominate and completing the nomination. Check them out below and get started on your nomination!
Knowing What to Nominate
- Review the quality of the project based on its goals, metrics, and results.
- Analyze how well the project is integrated into the company’s mission and how it adds value back into the company.
- Instead of worrying about the size of project, consider the size of its impact.
- Include all types of contribution—financial, intellectual, employee, in-kind, etc.
- Emphasize how your whole company has integrated sustainability and corporate citizenship into its operations (for Best Corporate Steward Awards).
Completing the Nomination
- Be mindful of the word limits—tell your story succinctly.
- Ask fellow colleagues or others who are not as familiar with the project as you are if the nomination makes sense or if there are any gaps.
- Provide a narrative—telling a story which paints a picture can strengthen your nomination.
- Be candid. Let your passion come through. Judges appreciate honesty.
Ready to complete your nomination? Forms can be found here. As always, the Corporate Citizenship Center staff is available to answer your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-463-3133. Best of luck, and we look forward to receiving your nomination by June 3!