Chris Musso is Partner in the Denver Office. He is a member of the Product Development and Chemicals Practices at McKinsey. He specializes in growth through innovation and product development, and works mostly in the chemicals and basic materials space.
- Developing market strategy for a major commodity chemicals manufacturer. Performed a broad market scan of current and potential uses of client’s material, generating over 75 application ideas and several patent filings. Resulted in two successful joint ventures, and launch of a new business that has doubled margins on the commodity plastic while exceeding client growth expectations
- Assessing and refining the product development capabilities of a major consumer products company. Evaluated the effectiveness of the client’s programs and processes, and investigated portfolio of initiatives. Recommended targeted best practice interventions that resulted in creation of over $10 million of incremental value, and portfolio balancing with potential for over $100 million/year
- Leading a team of 15 consultants and more than 250 client personnel to systematically assess and redesign parts and systems of an automotive product portfolio, leading to over $2 billion in potential savings
Previous Experience and Education
- Prior to joining the Firm, Chris spent 5 years leading a small manufacturing engineering and computer modeling consultancy that served industrial food companies and the legal industry
- In addition to his PhD, Chris holds Master’s degrees in Materials Science, Business Administration, and Technology Policy, all from MIT. Earned his Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing Engineering Technology from Brigham Young University